Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Saving $$$ 1996 Style!




I have this book from 1996 that my MIL bought for me at a yard sale about six or seven years ago. The prices are so funny to read! Pillsbury refrigerator biscuits go on sale for $.25! Hahaha! Ground beef is $.99 per lb. Expensive cereal is $3 a box. But the concepts are still very valid!

I'm re-reading it and have found some GREAT recipes!

Right now I'm making homemade granola. I'll post the recipe after I decide if I like it. The one I'm excited about is a cream of ___ soup mix.

Cream of ____ Soup Mix
2 cups instant milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine these in an air tight container.

To use for soup, combine 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil stirring often. Add a vegetable for more flavor - diced celery, mushrooms or broccoli.

To use for any recipe calling for a can of cream of mushroom, chicken, or celery soup use 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cup of water. Boil a few minutes & stir often.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment