Dishwashing Soap for about 8 cents per load
- 1 Tablespoon Borax (76 oz sold for $5 at Ace)
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda (128 oz for $13 online - it may be less at Costco where I bought a big bag)
Mix the Borax and baking soda together. Then, add to your dishwasher's detergent compartment, and run as usual. I like to mix up a big batch & fill an old Costco soap container.
Borax and baking soda are both natural disinfectants and mild abrasives – just what you need to blast away stuck on food and germs. In fact, you may be interested to learn that Borax is a common ingredient in many commercial detergents.
- its inexpensive
- there are no harsh chemicals
- it does not emit chlorine gas like other commercial detergents
- it is an effective sanitizer
- it is an effective stain remover
- its an effective water softener
- and its environmentally-friendly (phosphate-free)
- You actually use a lot less of this than the commercial stuff
There are lots of places I may have found this info. . . But I'm pretty sure I read it at TipNut
Now head off to RocksInMyDryer for more Works for Me Wed tips!