Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bread!! Or should I say Pizza!!

I've been baking - I'm really into baking breads right now. So much so, that as the Creative Activities Director of my MOPS group I have a demonstration day coming up where I'll have stations & we teach the moms to make bread. Interested in coming? Follow this link to First Pres Yakima where you'll find the director's phone number. Just give her a call - we'd love to have you!

My friend Laura pointed out there is nothing as satisfying as making your own bread. I much agree. My favorite part is proofing the yeast! Warm water, yeast & sugar. . . and then *poof * it all starts foaming & growing!

Here's a recipe to get you started. When we made pizza the other night we did one dessert pizza. I topped it with butter, a sprinkling of brown sugar & cinnamon. It was beyond fabulous! I had every intention of making a dip/frosting out of milk & powdered sugar but we didn't get that far.

Here's before baking the dessert pizza. . . .

And after baking. . . mmmmmm


Pizza Dough - Recipe from my Grandma Norma Hilmes
1 cup warm water ( 120-130°)
1 pkg yeast
1 tsp sugar

Dissolve this in a bowl. Wait 5 minutes for the yeast to foam & grow. If it didn't you need to start over. Your water might have been too hot or too cold. Or maybe your yeast was old. Doesn't matter - just try again.

2 Tbs veg oil
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp salt

To the yeast mixture add: veg oil, salt & 2 cups flour. Mix. Stir in remaining flour and kneed until smooth.

Grease your bowl with cooking spray - add the dough & spray the top of the dough. Cover the bowl with a damp towel & put in a warm spot. Let rise until doubled - about 45 minutes.

Punch down dough and let rest 10 minutes. Divide in half. Roll on floured surface as thick or as thin as you'd like. Transfer onto your baking sheet and add your toppings. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes.


I was listening to a tipsaving podcast that said you should add the sauce last. The idea was roll out the dough, add the toppings & cheese, add the sauce & add a bit more cheese - then put this all in the freezer. . . Frozen pizza! I haven't tried it but if you do, let me know how it works out.





No comments:

Post a Comment