Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Saving $$$ making bread


So we know that baking at home can save money but I have troubles figuring it all out. You take the cost of your flour, decide how much it is an ounce, how many ounces you use. . . blah, blah, blah. It makes my head spin.

Poking around on the King Arthur site, I found this is figured for you at the end of each recipe!!

Here's white sandwich bread. Ignore the fancy name. They need you to use a special pan but also said you can use a regular pan & cover with a cookie sheet weighted with a brick.
Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White Bread, 22¢/ounce

Bake at home: Pain de Mie, 8¢/ounce


They also did the same for a cheese cracker similar to a Cheez-It. Mmmmmm. Plus look at the difference in ingredients!

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Sunshine Cheez-It Crackers, 33¢/ounce

Ingredients: Enriched Flour, Soybean and Palm Oil with TBHQ for Freshness, Skim Milk Cheese, Salt, Contains Two Percent or Less of Paprika, Yeast, Paprika Oleoresin for Color, Soy Lecithin.

Bake at home: Vermont Cheese Crackers, 24¢/ounce

Ingredients: King Arthur Flour, Vermont cheddar cheese, yeast, salt, baking powder, vegetable shortening.


Come see Rocks in my Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday tips!



3 comments:

  1. hmmm now I would like them to add the cost of labor. They should take note, I don't work cheap ;)Great tips! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is food for thought.... I'm terrible at making bread though. Maybe it's cuz my thermostat is set to 67?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its awfully fun but am not sure I totally agree with the prices - have you seen how much yeast is lately??!! I've been told Costco is the best place to buy it.

    Also, I like to let my bread rise next to the crock pot - our house is only 68 so it is sometimes a bit cool for getting dough to rise.

    ReplyDelete